- Download the WoW_Mania Windows client.
- Download the World of Warcraft 3.3.5a .app file from here: World of Warcraft - Mac.zip
- Extract the .zip file and move the World of Warcraft.app file into the World of Warcraft folder alongside wow.exe
- Delete the Launcher.exe file as you will not be able to use it.
Now the game will run by just double clicking the World of Warcraft.app file however there is one tweak we can make to significantly improve performance. This section of the guide can be applied to Linux, however on Linux you must use the WINE program compatibility layer.
Changing the following settings in Mac and Linux will give a noticeable performance increase as it will be rendering WoW using OpenGL which is native to Mac and Linux.
I can confirm that on Linux (Running Arch 64-Bit) using wine 1.7.3 and OpenGL settings, performance is increased by approximately 10-20 FPS.
- Navigate to your WTF folder and open config.wtf with TextEdit or a similar program (Do not use Microsoft Office).
- Scroll to the bottom of the file and adding this to the end: SET gxApi "OpenGL"
- Save the file and close.
And that's it! I only have access to 10.10.2 but this should work on Lion, Mountain Lion and Mavericks as well.