Forums - [Novice Guide] How to get started on WOW-MANIA!

• Author
    • Changed: February 14, 2016 1:23 AM Reason: Minor updates on dl links + Mac user info      

Melandru
    Members
    Upvoted: 8

INTRO

Today I was levelling my new Goblin character "Wysiwyg"
    As he was running through Crossroads, looking for work from the locals, he got stopped by a friendly young Orc, asking me where I came from.
    And when I finally found a well payed job, collecting Zhevra hooves for Sergra Darkthorn, again someone asked about where my race originated from.
    So, for all the new players on this server, I will try to explain how to go about getting started from scratch.
    This guide will maybe not be for you if you have some technical knowledge or when you are familiar with installing software and patches.
    I'm writing this guide from a Windows 10 machine. I don't know how different everything is for Mac or any other Operating System, but I doubt it will be very different.
    If you came here looking for solutions to your technical problems, you can still read over this guide to see if you missed something.
    But if extended help is needed, I suggest you create a new forum post here and click the button "create new topic" (but make sure you help everyone out and follow this guide for posting issues)

Let's skip the nonsense and help you get your Worgen or Goblin going.

A. Creating an account

To log into the game you'll need an account to play!
    This step can also be done later, but I'll show you this first, because it's a vital part of getting access to the server!
    To do this, simply go to the registration page and fill out the form on the page as instructed below:

When you filled all the fields accordingly, you can click "SUBMIT" and follow the instructions on the screen
    Make sure you write down your username and password. You will need this at the end of this guide!

B. The World of Warcraft client

To play the game...  any game, you'll need the basic game installed on your computer (or device).
    Let's go grab that game files!

You can find all files at the download page, but in this guide you won't have to go there, as I will post direct links.

• Windows users need to download  this WoW-Mania-2.0.4b.torrent
      Mac users need to download this WoW-Mania-2.0.4-Mac.torrent
      ...and open the file in your preferred torrent program.
      There are numerous programs for that, but I suggest µ-torrent.

• You can find µ-torrent here is you haven't got it installed on your system already!

Open the torrent file...  right click > Open with... > utorrent
      Downloading the WOW client files may take a bit, since it's a very large download, and speed depends on the bandwidth provided by your ISP.

• Now that the download is done, you will have a folder in your download folder called "WoW-Mania - Win"
      Copy this whole folder to a for you convenient location (In this guide I will suggest we move it to drive C:)
      Yes, I told you to copy that huge folder, instead of move. If you ever make a mistake in the process, you won't have to re-download it when you need to start over.
    TIP: Using the C: drive for your game folder will in most cases take care of read/write permission problems some people experience when they have the game folder in a different drive.  (Also see step D. "Preparing the game")

• Now your game is in place!

C. The WOW-MANIA Launcher

WOW-MANIA uses a custom Launcher to provide you with the latest patches and custom content
    MAC USERS: The Wow-Mania Launcher does NOT work for MAC. Mac users should patch their game manually.
    This can be done by downloading the patch files here!
    You could do without the launcher, but you would miss out on some vital WOW-MANIA content

So, lets get on with the guide and get that Launcher...

• Download the WoW-Mania's Custom Launcher - Zip (1.1 MB)
      Remember where you downloaded it to, since you have to go to that location to unzip.
      I suggest you make an easy to find folder somewhere to place all the download files together.
    • Now you browse to that zip-file.
      The contents of the zip-file should be extracted to the game folder.
      There are several paths to take with the similar end result, I will show the most conventional one (for windows)
    • In your file browser right-click the zip file.
      You should now see something like this:

From the list you select "Extract all", which will lead you to the following:

Now a pop-up has opened asking you where the zip-file needs to be extracted
      There you type the path to your game folder (e.g: C:\WoW-Mania - Win)
      ...or you use the "Browse" button to find your game folder

The tick-box needs to be ticked, so that the game folder will be opened. We'll need that in the next step!
    • Then you may click "Apply" (when you double checked the path you entered)
      Now the files from the zip will be extracted to the game folder. This shouldn't take more that a few seconds.
      A new window will open and you should see something that looks like this:

D. Preparing the game

The hardest part is now behind you and you're almost ready to play!
    It's important that the game folder doesn't have the folder permissions set to "read-only"

• In your filebrowser to to your C: drive (or the location where your game folder resides)
      Look for the Folder with the name "WoW-Mania - Win" (or the name you have specified earlier)
      Do a right-click on the icon of your game folder, and choose "Properties"
      A small popup will open that looks somewhat like this:

Now you have to make sure that "Read only" is unchecked.
      Hit "Apply" and you done.

To play the game at this point you'll have to go into your games folder every single time
    You don't want that. You will need a convenient link on your desktop.
    There are numerous ways to make your game executable easily accessible in different parts if the User Interface of your Operating System
    But I will cover how to add a shortcut to your desktop.

• On the last image in section C of this guide see the highlighted executable "Launcher.exe"
      This is the file that needs to be run to play the game.
      To make a shortcut on the desktop you'll only have to right-click that one file.
      When you do so, you will get a list that's similar as we seen earlier in this guide...  and it looks like this:
      Another list pops up and there you choose "Desktop (create shortcut)"

E. Running the game

Now you can close all the open windows and go back to your desktop, where a new icon has appeared
    Now you can click the shortcut on your desktop and the Launcher will start.
    When it starts you will see this:

Sit back and relax...  get yourself something to drink while the launcher downloads the patch files.
    You will need those to see all the WOW-MANIA custom content. It also contains other data, necessary to have the best WOW-MANIA experience.
    When the downloads are done the screen will be clean and look like this:

Now you can click the "PLAY" button on the right...  and the game will start!
    When the game starts, the first screen you'll see is the login screen.
    This is where you fill in the username and password you chosen at the first step of this guide.

Now you are ready to go!   Click "Login" and you can start creating your character....  

..:: ENJOY!!! ::..

I hope to see you soon on WOW-MANIA!
    Greetings...  Melandru

Useful links:

I apologize for the images being non-english ...  my Windows is simply in Dutch...  but I hope despite that detail, this guide will still be useful to anyone!

If you still encounter errors after this guide, or things are still not working properly for you, use this guide or search the support forum to find a solution to your specific problem. If no answer can be found there, go to the support forum and start a new topic with your error/problem! (and be as specific as possible)
    I can and will not guarantee you'll get an answer if you post them in a comment below!

Upvoted by: Tanksalot, Chang, Janitor, twomanfist, Braden2401, labtecldlc, Mwertos, Szyszun

•      

Chang
    Members
    Upvoted: 0

Thank you for taking the time to make this guide, and adding mine to your post aswell!

•      

Tanksalot
    Members

Hello there!

Awesome post, well written and useful!

Glad to see more people involved in forums to help other peoples around!

And many compliments for the name of your gobin! It fits exactly why goblins and worgens are not from cataclysm expansion, but just a spice up (WYSIWUG = What You See Is What You Get)

See you in-game!

•      

Rejuv
    Members

WoW!. I Mean WOW! Amazing guide man, this is pretty awesome. Good stuff bro!  #Rejuv's Thumb of Approval

80 Restoration Druid - Rejuv

80 Protection Paladin - Holyfather

80 Assassination Rogue - Silentdeath

80 Affliction Warlock - Dotsfired

80 Arms Warrior - Whoopas

•      

Aun
    Members

Good guide and nice mentioning of your goblin ^^

Only 2 suggestions, 1 of which is personal preference/security concerns.

1, Use qBittorrent instead of uTorrent - uTorrent has been known to have intrusive ads. Having ads is a personal preference, but minimizing potential problems is always a good thing. qBittorrent has no ads and it's open source.

2. Make a backup of your enGB (enUS, krKR, etc) folder in a location other than your WoW folder. Folder is located inside of WoW/Data/.

Main account (unbanned): Aun (A), Herbfarmer (H)

•      

SINtheticSoul
    Members

This says it is a start up guide but I have been following every step in the guide, as well as other forum posts to TRY to get wow mania to work on my Mac to no avail. The realm list was auto set to wow mania's when I downloaded the client, so that isnt the issue. I have tried repeatedly to download and connect the secondary launcher you guys created but it will not work, nor will the actual launcher that came with the download file. I am at my witts end right now and would LOVE some help so I can start playing on this amazing server!

•      

brolyno
    Members
    Upvoted: 1

I got a problem: i did all that is on the guide but when i launch wow and i have to accept the terms of condition my mouse doesn't move and this happens only in this game while in FO4 or others no... i dunno what to do :(

Upvoted by: Dresden

•      

JuNNeZ
    Forum Admin

brolyno wrote on February 29, 2016

I got a problem: i did all that is on the guide but when i launch wow and i have to accept the terms of condition my mouse doesn't move and this happens only in this game while in FO4 or others no... i dunno what to do :(

Please make your own support thread. Don't hijack threads.

Upvoted by: Melandru

•      

AestheticValue
    Members

SINtheticSoul wrote on February 29, 2016

This says it is a start up guide but I have been following every step in the guide, as well as other forum posts to TRY to get wow mania to work on my Mac to no avail. The realm list was auto set to wow mania's when I downloaded the client, so that isnt the issue. I have tried repeatedly to download and connect the secondary launcher you guys created but it will not work, nor will the actual launcher that came with the download file. I am at my witts end right now and would LOVE some help so I can start playing on this amazing server!

I'm having the exact same issue, I've been trying a bunch of different things but I can't get it to work :/

•      

Zoelou
    Members

ok I can't download the patch in the mega what do I do?

Upvoted by: Dirtydeedz

•      

Brann
    Members

Same here, link is dead :(

•      

Portalkid1029
    Members

The WOW-MANIA LAUNCHER anyone knows of an alive link if not then they need to fix it

•      

JuNNeZ
    Forum Admin

Use: http://www.wow-mania.com/downloads to find all the necessary links. Thanks.