Protection Paladin PVE Guide 3.3.5a

Everything you always wanted to know but was afraid to ask. Now with 200% more user guides and information.

Protection Paladin PVE Guide 3.3.5a

Postby uglymanity » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:44 pm

-It's important to note before reading this guide that talents, items, and stats CAN be situational, however, this build is intended for no changes, and for raiding use.

To start I am going to present the talents I've chosen for this build, which I've used for years now and have always been satisfied with it.

https://imgur.com/a/Q3OJWnt

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The first thing to take into consideration with a paladin tank is that they are an AoE tank, and as such, for tanking multiple enemies, paladins require plenty of hit rating to hit targets level 80 or higher. Also, to go along with hit rating is expertise. These 2 stats are what you will want to cap first. With your attacks hitting every target, you will lose less aggro.

Stat levels:
HIT: 263 for human and blood elf. (230 for draenei) Due to the racial.

EXPERTISE: 8. This will reduce your chance to be dodged or parried by approx, 2%.

DEFENSE: 540.
-Never go higher. This will decrease your chance to be critically struck, and increases your chance to dodge, block and parry.

DODGE: 25% is an acceptable target.
-Anything higher I would not suggest gemming for, however, it being higher is okay. Agility increases this stat aswell.

PARRY: 20% is pretty typical to obtain.
-Again, anything higher I would not suggest gemming for, but higher amounts is okay.

BLOCK: 13% This is your main mitigation stat.
-Combined with holy shield is 43%. This stat also increases the damage of Shield of the Righteousness, and generates a lot of threat. Strength increases this value.

STRENGTH: Gives you more Block Value, Spell power, and Attack power. Via; Touched by the Light Talent.
-Strength is the main threat stat for paladins. Make appropriate modifications in gems based on block value.

AGILITY: Gives you dodge, melee crit, and armor. 1 Agility=2 armor. This stat can be used to fine tune percentages.
-This stat will give you direct damage mitigation effects, but should only be used to fine tune percentages.
-59.89 Agi = +1% dodge chance.
-52.08 Agi = +1% melee crit chance.

INTELLECT: 108. I've used 2 Luminous Ametrine (+12 Spell power +10 intellect) on my rings to bring my spell crit to approx. 4% and increases the damage of consecrate. This was a personal decision, and optional. However, as an AoE tank, this has been effective as a threat gain for mobs.

MELEE CRIT: 17.5% Is acceptable. However not increasingly important, it is good to have an amount that will increase to an acceptable level while in dungeons or raids.

SPEED OR HASTE: I've got my melee speed at 1.57, which allows my rotation to flow smooth. Recommended for proper rotation speed.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Rotation:

Each player has a different style of using spells for keybinds, so I am only going to describe what I use. Typically, you can use almost any variation of spells that are listed with appropriate gear, but I would suggest using this specific rotation.

[Starting pull]:Sacred Shield, Holy Shield, Divine Plea,[PULL] Concecration, Hammer of the Righteous, Judgement of Wisdom, Shield of the Righteousness.

-Remember to always keep Divine Plea up to restore mana constantly, you'll need it.

[Combat] Holy Shield, Concecration, Hammer of the Righteous, Judgement of Wisdom, Shield of the Righteousness.

Check for Sacred Shield and Holy Shield on your buffs menu to know when to re-apply them.
-Avenger's shield can be used in this rotation, however it steals a lot of your mana from the main rotation, and isn't necessary.

-Taunting
It is very important to keep your taunts keybound at all times, and having a threat meter such as Omen3 or Tauntmaster for easy taunts is very helpful to managing threat. http://all-wow.com/download/TauntMaster%20WoW%203.3.5a.zip

-Seals
Single Target: Seal of Vengeance

Multi-Target: Seal of Command

Buff: Blessing of Sanctuary.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Enchants
Helm: Arcanum of the Stalwart Protector. Purchased by Argent Crusade Quartermaster-Revered.

Shoulder: Greater Incription of the Gladiator. Purchased in wintergrasp.

Cloak: Major agility, Mighty armor, or Titanweave. Stat specific option.

Chest: Greater Defense, Super health. Stat specific option.

Bracers: Major Stamina.

Gloves: Armsman.

Waist: Eternal belt buckle +30 stamina

Legs: Frosthide leg armor

Boots: Tuskarr's Vitality.

Main-Hand: Mongoose. Has a chance to increase agility by 200. Greatly increases critical strike rating and armor value.

Shield: Titanium Shield Spike. Causes 45-67 damage to each enemy that attacks. Great for threat.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Gems

Blue: Solid Majestic Zircon-+30 Stamina

Yellow: Inscribed Ametrine-+10 Strength and +10 Critical strike, Luminous Ametrine- +12 Spell power and +10 Intellect,
Deft Ametrine-+10 agility and +10 haste

Red: Guardian's Dreadstone-+10 expertise and +10 stamina, Delicate cardinal ruby-+20 agility, Bold Cardinal Ruby-+20 strength, Defender's dreadstone-+10 parry rating and +15 stamina

Meta: Austere Earthsiege Dreadstone-+32 stamina and 2% increased armor value

Pristimatic: Solid Majestic Zircon

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Professions

Jewelcrafting, Blacksmithing. Jewelcrafting allows use of +34 stam gems x3, and blacksmithing allows the socketing of a bracer and gloves slot.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Glyphs

-MAJOR GLYPHS:

-Glyph of Hammer of the Righteous

-Glyph of Divine Plea

-Glyph of Righteous Defense

-MINOR GLYPHS

-Glyph of Blessing of Kings

-Glyph of Sense Undead

-Glyph of Lay on Hands
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Before ending this guide, I will put a couple of my notes to further explain some questions that may be asked.

1. Spell power and Intellect? Huh? Yeah. It DOES increase damage to your spells, and DOES increase threat gain.

2. What if I'm not able to reach those percentages right away? Like I said in the start. HIT AND EXPERTISE first, then start with the rest.

3. Should I stam stack? No, you should not. Don't ever listen to anyone who tells you that. More health doesn't result in a better (pally) tank.

4. Another thing to consider in this build is use a libram. I currently use Libram of the eternal tower, but Libram of Defiance is okay.

5. Hit and expertise first? Do I need defense cap to raid. Short story; YES.

6. Socket Bonuses? Personally, I maximize my socket bonuses and achieve the desired results. That, and you pretty much have to use them to achieve the correct stats.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This guide was created by Mavren the Kingslayer, <Omnipotent Ones> Feel free message me in-game with questions, or post a reply to this thread with anything I may have missed.
uglymanity

Re: Protection Paladin PVE Guide 3.3.5a

Postby Whirl » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:38 pm

I can't see your talents behind 12 shelves of zooms.

And it's better to make holy shield your last starter in the pre-pull rotation, and start your rotation with Hand of Reckoning -> Avenger Shield. Else you're missing out your starter aggro that a warrior will get from 1 heroic strike.

I wouldn't recommend suggesting spellpower gems on a prot pally, nor agility gems else you're evolving a generation of quite average prot paladins. Strength gems are alright but Strength Hit or Flat Strength, crit is useless.

Your shoulder enchant information is wrong :).
Whirl

Postby uglymanity » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:35 pm

Thanks for the reply. A lot of this I did off the top of my head, so I can change the shoulder enchant slot. And yeah, I've changed my sockets since this post to +30 stamina. Some of the information might be incorrect, I will go ahead and change some of that :P
uglymanity

Postby Whirl » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:42 pm

About the Shoulder, what I mean is the Stamina Resilience one is in Orgrimmar/Stormwind and you didn't mention the alternative option which is Hodir seeing as you recommended some defensive stats (which also makes you hit diminshing returns hardcore if you increase it further).
Whirl

Return to Guides & Information