Cataclysm PTR - Alpha

General discussion about our Cataclysm Public Test Realm.

Cataclysm PTR - Alpha

Postby Janitor » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:11 am

We are about to embark on a new challenge/experiment.
After having worked for some time in the shadows we have now decided to embrace this new challenge and officially announce the existence of a Cataclysm Public Test Realm.
This is still in a very early stage of work so don't expect to find the same quality as in our Lich King realms.
For the next couple of months, we will assess the viability of the project and decide if we take it further to the next stage.
We ask you to be patient and to contribute to work being done as much as you can. We will need as much help as we can get.

As always you can log issues in our GitHub repository:
https://github.com/WoWManiaUK/Blackwing-Lair

Note: This repository is EXCLUSIVE for Cata issues (the same way as our Wotlk repository is EXCLUSIVE for wotlk issues).

You can download the torrent for the client here:
http://wow-mania.com/files/WoW-Mania%20-%20Cataclysm.torrent

Your Wotlk account will be valid on the Cata realm.
Just set your realm list to cataclysm.wow-mania.com
The retail 4.3.4 (enGB) Cataclysm client will work fine but we recommend you to download our own client and use our Launcher as always.

Again, this is an ALPHA release, we are mostly interested in fatal and critical issues, not quests not completing or other low-level cosmetic issues.

I want a few things to be very clear at this point:
  1. This will not affect our commitment and priorities concerning the WotLK servers.
  2. There is no official support or guarantees to any time and effort put on it. This is a proof of concept work.
  3. What we expect from the general player is some high-level feedback on playability.
  4. Those that would like to help more should contact our staff team and find out how to become a tester.
  5. If you don't have the time but still wish to support us just donate and mention Cata. We will appreciate the gesture.

Thank you for your support.
Architect of Disruption since 1995
Janitor
Owner

Re: Cataclysm PTR - Alpha

Postby ggosse52 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:35 am

I just want to sayI am excited about your exploration of the Cataclysm expansion.
I love WOTLK but Cata is a whole new game.
I look forward to being able to play both :D
ggosse52

Postby stefannel » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:50 pm

@Janitor
Hello.
Have you take into consideration the facts that
1. Usually, Cataclysm is somewhere close to the bottom of the most "best wow expansions" lists?
2. Taking point #1 into consideration + Cata was released 5 years ago and most servers roll Legion/WoD nowadays as it's somewhat more recent ?
3. Redemption is somewhat in lack of organized/planned GM events? GMs are active and open tickets (and they do it well) but there are no planned events, the website is dead, old news.
4. Elysium ..I've played there for 2 weeks (lvl 10 - stopped at llv 74) and I didn't see any GM online..ever! Not to mention, every day some1 would put a password on general channel so the few players could not even join general channel?
Regards
stefannel

Postby TwEirMAdAInG » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:40 pm

stefannel wrote:1. Usually, Cataclysm is somewhere close to the bottom of the most "best wow expansions" lists?
2. Taking point #1 into consideration + Cata was released 5 years ago and most servers roll Legion/WoD nowadays as it's somewhat more recent ?

Agree, Cataclysm was a terrible expansion, splitting the player base from WotLK seems silly to me.
Legion, and to a lesser extent WoD, were much better, but I am specifically here to rekindle the love of the game I had back in 2008 - 2010.

stefannel wrote:4. Elysium ..I've played there for 2 weeks (lvl 10 - stopped at llv 74) and I didn't see any GM online..ever! Not to mention, every day some1 would put a password on general channel so the few players could not even join general channel?

I think this is deliberate, GMs shouldn't really be casually chatting in game, that's what the forums are for, for posterity and the benefit of all.
I have opened a number of tickets for bugs in game and have had them all answered in a reasonable amount of time so I know they are active.
I don't know about WC having a password on it (assume you mean WC not General, General is a system channel so that would be impossible), I've not seen that myself.
TwEirMAdAInG

Postby Janitor » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:38 am

stefannel wrote:@Janitor
Hello.
Have you take into consideration the facts that
1. Usually, Cataclysm is somewhere close to the bottom of the most "best wow expansions" lists?
2. Taking point #1 into consideration + Cata was released 5 years ago and most servers roll Legion/WoD nowadays as it's somewhat more recent?
3. Redemption is somewhat in lack of organized/planned GM events? GMs are active and open tickets (and they do it well) but there are no planned events, the website is dead, old news.
4. Elysium ..I've played there for 2 weeks (lvl 10 - stopped at llv 74) and I didn't see any GM online..ever! Not to mention, every day some1 would put a password on general channel so the few players could not even join the general channel?
Regards

Have you read what I said?
There will be no split, transfer, drop in quality in the wotlk realm!
This is a "relief" realm! To be used at the player's leisure to change the scenery.
We have the expertise and this is a fun project to devs and players. A few have already been contributing. Check their feedback.
Janitor
Owner

Postby Kratos » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:59 am

stefannel wrote:4. Elysium ..I've played there for 2 weeks (lvl 10 - stopped at llv 74) and I didn't see any GM online..ever! Not to mention, every day some1 would put a password on general channel so the few players could not even join general channel?
Regards

We have full GM Support on Elysium and I can assure you there are GameMaster's online dealing with tickets Daily on Elysium. If you are offline when a GameMaster answers your ticket you will most likely find a Reply in your Mail, otherwise we will come back to you as soon as both are online at the same time :)

Regarding Worldchat I have not seen anyone putting a Password on it

Regards,
GameMaster Kratos
Game Master Kratos
Website http://wow-mania.com/
Rules http://wow-mania.com/rules
Frequently Asked Questions http://wow-mania.com/faq
Kratos
Game Master

Postby Arwald » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:21 am

Question, I downloaded the game via torrent and used the Launcher as said at the begining of the post, using the download link for the launcher on the website. At the moment i start the game it tells me that i need to upgrade the game to play the current expansion (cata) and also, i can't see the hair on blood elfs

Edit: Solved the trouble starting the game, unable to conect now -.-
Arwald

Postby Janitor » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:23 pm

Just let me know your username and I can do that for you.
Janitor
Owner

Postby Copperbum » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:44 pm

Janitor, any chance up can upgrade my account so i can create a Worgan/Goblin? Many thanks. User name Copperbum
Copperbum

Postby Aymelek » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:47 pm

Hello there Copperbum

I have updated you.

Enjoy your Game
GM Aymelek
Aymelek
Game Master

Next

Return to Blackwing Lair (4.3.4)