Cross Faction Chat

Got a good idea to improve the server or some constructive feedback? Post it here.

Cross Faction Chat

Postby jestersknight » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:59 pm

Hello everyone!

I am sure I am not the only who has thought of this but I would like cross faction chat to be stopped. Let's look at the pros and the cons.

The main thing that cross faction chat seems to benefit is trade and raiding, however, both sides on this server have more than enough players to trade and raid without having to speak with the other faction.

I can see how it would be beneficial to see something in world chat to raid on the opposite faction if you aren't playing your main faction but if you aren't playing your main faction, then why should you be interested in it at that specific moment? In truth, I understand that no one wants to miss out on a random pug that could be great for your main factions toon, but it was the players choice to play the opposing faction in the first place and is nothing like retail on server that promotes a Blizz like experience.

True, there are many things added specific to this server that stray, some, if not far, away from a true blizz like server but I have yet to find a person that does not like boosts, GM giveaways and so forth.

Other than the trade and raiding being beneficial, what is the real down side to cross faction chat you may ask?

Here is my point of view, which I know many share. I don't want to receive whispers from the opposite faction crying that I just beat the living hell out of them in PvP. I don't want to receive whispers from people attempting to argue with me when I wasn't even hostile from world chat.

Some may say, just ignore them, problem solved. Which I have taken full advantage of ignoring people believe me, lol, however, it does not solve the problem. Many times these people get so upset that I have ignored them that they will get onto another toon just to message me and have the final F word, if you know what I mean. Yes, I understand this can happen within your own faction but at least it solves 50 % of this specific pertaining to the issue I speak of.

Some may say, just leave world chat if you don't like it, however, it is crucial for world chat to be available to people so that they don't miss their own factions random pugs and the cancer from cross faction chat is a huge reason many leave the world chat.

What else is the down side to it?

World chat is basically a cancer, there is always someone arguing, always someone swearing, always someone causing trouble and debates on subjects not allowed on the server. GM's are constantly having to remind others in world chat to respect each other or threat of ban/muting. Why should the already busy GM's have to endure this policing? I favor our GM's, they do a great job at handling in game issues and world chat debate only hinders their performance of their duties. Relating back to the cancer part of this paragraph, this is my main concern. I love my faction, I don't care about what the other faction has to say to me or what they trade or what they raid. Blizzard designed the game this way so that there would be way less trolls in game.

Cross faction chat 80 percent of the time only promotes hate and dissension to the whole sever. I've heard, this may not be true, that the server owner considers WoW-Mania his business. I've seen bans on players that disrupt his business or does not promote the health of the server. If this is the case, then why allow the biggest disruption of all, cross faction chat, to continue? There is literally nothing else, except mail, cross faction, we cannot group together, we cannot make guilds together, we cannot raid or dungeon with each other, we cannot quest together. So how is cross faction chat helping this business and how is it considered a good thing for our server? Even mail should be disabled in my opinion. But how will we send things to the other factions then? Simple, there is a cross faction AH, there is also the ability to use BoA items to send cross faction along with some money, just not non BoA items, that is what the cross faction AH is for.

Perhaps even if it was explained to me, I may never agree. Perhaps I am one sided on this concern, however, I feel that I have done my best to see the good things about it vs the bad things about it and I still cannot come up with a valid reason for it to continue when the bad things far outweigh the good things.

Please take consideration on this matter and if you agree, just add a thumbs up on this post. thanks for your time and reading my thoughts and ideals.
jestersknight

Re: Cross Faction Chat

Postby Janitor » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:57 am

We will be doing this as an experiment this week.
It has been in the works for a while we just need to find the right moment to implement it.
Architect of Disruption since 1995
Janitor
Owner

Postby stefannel » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:01 pm

Janitor wrote:We will be doing this as an experiment this week.
It has been in the works for a while we just need to find the right moment to implement it.

Overall, the main aspect of NO cross faction chat is that you cannot chat wiht opposite faction directly.
To be honest, in all the servers I played,( which they were all normal/Pvp, so non-PVE), after smashing an opposite member on map (and camping it), you don't wanna get bad words from the opposite member.
If this was PvP server with crss-faction chat, you would receive pms from the dead one immediately asking why/what or receiving curses.
As long as this is PVE server and the PvP contact is minimum, there is no drama between factions so drama protection (the removal of cross-faction chat) is needed.
But yes ..I agree, WoW is pvp related and the cross faction chat is abnormal.
stefannel

Postby Xerjol » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:05 pm

Yis, let's kill the social aspect on a low pop server even more.

In all honesty, I hate custom stuff. But let's be real, you don't gain anything from removing X-faction chat. More blizzlike? Yes, but if all of a sudden we're looking to go into that direction, why start with chat? Why not deal with stuff that affects gameplay directly?

I'd say the change will be looked at negatively by majority of the community. I can also say, without talking out of my ass, that quite a lot of players that do still play on Mania for 4 months+ stay simply because of the community.

I wouldn't have much to say about removing X-faction chat IF the server had 1k+ pop daily, but if we decide to remove it now...Well, it's going to feel empty af, especially when playing on Alliance. Much fun.

Just my 2 cents.
Xerjol

Postby jestersknight » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:37 pm

Xerjol wrote:Yis, let's kill the social aspect on a low pop server even more.

In all honesty, I hate custom stuff. But let's be real, you don't gain anything from removing X-faction chat. More blizzlike? Yes, but if all of a sudden we're looking to go into that direction, why start with chat? Why not deal with stuff that affects gameplay directly?

I'd say the change will be looked at negatively by majority of the community. I can also say, without talking out of my ass, that quite a lot of players that do still play on Mania for 4 months+ stay simply because of the community.

I wouldn't have much to say about removing X-faction chat IF the server had 1k+ pop daily, but if we decide to remove it now...Well, it's going to feel empty af, especially when playing on Alliance. Much fun.

Just my 2 cents.

Totally agree with you, Community is important. that's why I made this post, to help our community. I, as well as yourself, can both agree that the community comes first. Whatever the final word will be, myself and others, will accept without question. The trail of this implementation will allow us to learn a lot more about whether or not we are ready to move forward and not harm our community. thank you for taking a few moments to post your thoughts. Everyone's ideas count here :)
jestersknight

Postby Yanodei » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:31 pm

wondering if there is an addon that will do this or keep a x-faction friends list? not that I mind needing to keep a notepad list of my buddies. only asking because currently we can mail and pm the opposing faction.
What an odd animal man is, to willingly allow themselves to be caged.
Yanodei

Postby Xerjol » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:09 pm

Yanodei wrote:wondering if there is an addon that will do this or keep a x-faction friends list? not that I mind needing to keep a notepad list of my buddies. only asking because currently we can mail and pm the opposing faction.

None that i am aware of.
Xerjol

Postby Matrixneo » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:22 am

I agree, less flaming, less people will switch factions because they see other faction is looking for more players for their raid, And it is more likely that people will grow to be a part of their faction and commit to it!
Matrixneo

Postby Ethne » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:44 am

jestersknight wrote:World chat is basically a cancer, there is always someone arguing, always someone swearing, always someone causing trouble and debates on subjects not allowed on the server. GM's are constantly having to remind others in world chat to respect each other or threat of ban/muting. Why should the already busy GM's have to endure this policing? I favor our GM's, they do a great job at handling in game issues and world chat debate only hinders their performance of their duties. Relating back to the cancer part of this paragraph, this is my main concern. I love my faction, I don't care about what the other faction has to say to me or what they trade or what they raid. Blizzard designed the game this way so that there would be way less trolls in game.

I understand your troubles with the other faction, especially for pvp situations. While you can usually /ignore whispers, players tend to go out of their way, sometimes relogging other characters to upset. You can screenshot, report if they keep harassing sure but it shouldn't happen that often and I think that's the main problem. This is caused by the current state of community.(or I'm delusional because of high standards)

I really enjoy wow-mania. I brought my girlfriend, best friend and a few online playmates here. I like the rules of wow-mania but the ones that are supposed to keep social integrity are not being enforced. You say Game Masters are constantly having to remind people to behave, I see 10 people harassing 1 person and 1 person being made an example of 9 people getting away with it.

Justice isn't the point. When you these troubles fester it becomes increasingly difficult to punish people. They see examples from before and they learn it's okay to act that way and feel wronged instead of taking a lesson when punished. However that punishment has to start somewhere or it will get only worse and more complicated. (Good luck with managing that kind of BS by the way, honestly) If someone claims they have been on this server for a month and they have never seen anyone getting punished from intentionally upsetting another person, I could believe them.

I'm almost sure a lot of our game masters are already having trouble to deal. Maybe some burned out, some refrained themselves from acting. Maybe there are those having issues with being marked as trigger-happy because of the ongoing ignorance turned this state to a norm.

Mocking, trolling, flaming really is a norm in world chat right now. I don't use these words lightly. I think the punishments need to be nudged a little to make some people (youth mostly) understand and care more. Some would leave but more stay in the long run. Those who would otherwise leave are likely older players too, meaning more donation.

-----

Getting past all that ranting (Sorry if too much!), would it be possible to have "moderators" for world chat? (In time, not right away)

So let's say one or two GMs step up and starts enforcing rules more often and without fault. I can easily see a lot of hate rising against them. Even the better folk might misunderstand and get caught in the hate wave, maybe even leave because of feeling insecure.

There are not a LOT of GMs active all the time. So I wouldn't expect a teamwork enforcement. If multiple more are recruited at the same time, there can be a lot of judgement errors from the new ones in a close timeline, causing more problems.

If Janitor has time just spanks some of the community members into better behavior. It would only be a temporary solution.

After all, maybe some spanking and some recruiting? I hope it doesn't come off as prejudiced but especially for American prime hours. There just seem to be less GMs active that time unless I misunderstand the extent of freedom of speech. I just want wow-mania to be a more friendly experience mostly so it's more enjoyable for people around me.

Edit: I checked the GM application checklist and incidentally that's the timeline availability being looked for xD Hoping the repetition these points not bothering anyone, I decided not to delete the post in case it gives an idea to any player or staff.
Ethne

Return to Suggestions